Name:
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom

Year 3 NTU Chemistry'2011 Currently on an exchange at University of Warwick for the Spring/Summer Term.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Conversational Malay lesson

I attended my first lesson in Elementary Conversational Malay today!!!


Chiong-ed home after work to bathe and change then rush out to meet Candice at nearby S11 to have dinner. she's my "kway chap partner" hahaha. we even had time for dessert. ginko nuts with longan soup to boost our brain power b4 we went for the lesson. We reached the classroom just on time! Initially, we speculated that we're gonna be among the youngest in the class as we expected most of the students to be those aunties who wanna kill their time. BUT!!! We were so so wrong lah! Out of the 30+ ppl in the class, almost all are teens of our age and there're even guys too.. (just din expect guys to have interest in taking up such courses) Only a few (3-4) aunties/uncles had joined us. So anyway, Candice and I settled down into a relatively good seat. feeling excited..or at least I was really enthu bout learning a new language. ^^ We had a female teacher who's quite young. she distributed us with our lesson materials (notes lah..wad else...) and officially started the lesson. The first thing we were taught was to pronounce malay vowels correctly. We had to actually read out loud, repeating after the teacher as she say each word. I think any pri sch kids with malay lang background would be laughing like mad if he/she saw the way we read aloud. I kinda enjoy it though at the beginning feel abit shy. but then I start to realised that the whole class is in it together. all beginners learning the language from scratch. In the later part of the lesson, we were taught to construct simple sentence as well as practice on conversing. It really is tough. Feels very much like a helpless kid struggling to keep up during a primary school MT lesson. well anyway. no matter what the outcome of this course would be.. I'm glad I've taken the step to gain experience and fun from it.

Just some pics below for u ppl to take a peak into what we're learning...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

AH - ER - YEE - OH - WOO...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

*Ding Ding* Bounce

FAQ: Why didn't I take up the other more popular language courses like korean/ japanese?

Well I'm equally interested in those languages but I thought I should learn Malay language before trying out others as it is more frequently used in Singapore and if learning a local language is that difficult. wouldn't it be more so for other foreign languages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home